3. Full participation of VECO regions in decision-making
While VECO’s existing organisation already allows for a great deal of participation and input from staff and partner organisations, we want to go a step further. VECO’s organisation is currently very centralized, with the senior governance bodies (General Assembly, Board of Directors and head office) dominated by Belgians. Under this model, standards and general programme objectives for the entire organisation are developed centrally and later translated into regional programmes. We want to evolve towards a truly international steering of the organisation.
With this goal in mind, VECO will establish a Public Interest Foundation alongside the non-profit organisation, that will be managed by an international board of directors, a board of affiliates in which our regional offices are being represented by local stakeholders, and an international management team composed of the directors of the VECO programmes in the different regions. International project teams will work on specific topics to work on common goals and share expertise and the international office will take on the support functions (finance, communication, programme support etc). For the time being this office will be based in Belgium, but this may change, as gradually it will be staffed by colleagues from the different VECO regions. Our programme in Belgium will become one of the VECO regions, at the same level as VECO in the Andes region, West Africa, Indonesia and so on.
4. New opportunities for funding
VECO is currently predominantly dependent on subsidies from the Belgian government. Other governments or foundations often expressed a wish to support our programmes directly, not via a Belgian legal entity. Why, for example, would an Australian foundation that wants to fund our programme in Indonesia transfer its money to a Belgian bank account, and not directly to our office in Indonesia? In our new organisation structure this will be possible. Global financial reporting standards and quality control will continue to be assured by the international office finance department.
New VECO in a nutshell:
- A truly global organisation with international management/governance.
- 8 regional offices that will work more independently, while sharing a common DNA, values and strategies of the network organisation. We will remain one organisation.
- A flatter organisational structure, with international projects coordinated from different regions.
- More active collaboration and exchange between colleagues worldwide.
- An organisation that is less dependent on funding from the Belgian government.
Feel free to contact Madeleine (madeleine.tsimi [at] veco-ngo.org) or Chris (chris.claes [at] veco-ngo.org)